In its arrest warrant for Vladimir Putin, the Worldwide Prison Courtroom accused the Russian president of the struggle crime of illegal deportation of individuals, particularly kids, and their illegal switch from occupied areas of Ukraine to the Russian Federation.
The ICC issued a separate warrant on the identical cost for Maria Alekseyevna Lvova-Belova, the Russian commissioner for kids’s rights.
Moscow dismissed Friday’s transfer, with Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov calling the allegations “outrageous”. Russia, which has denied concentrating on civilians since its invasion in February final yr, has repeatedly denied its forces have dedicated atrocities and has rejected previous allegations of illegally shifting Ukrainians.
Following are some key info and figures offered by the Ukrainian authorities on the difficulty:
– Daria Herasymchuk, Advisor-Commissioner of the President of Ukraine for Kids’s Rights and Rehabilitation, described in an interview with Reuters on March 17 5 foremost methods she stated Russia has used to illegally switch Ukrainian kids.
Providing households dwelling in occupied areas to take kids for holidays in Russian kids’s camps and never returning them throughout an agreed timeframe;
Aking Ukrainian kids away from care establishments in occupied areas;
Separating kids from mother and father at filtration checkpoints – the locations the place Ukrainian residents from areas below Russian occupation are checked and processed earlier than being allowed to enter Russia;
Taking away parental rights by legal guidelines enforced on occupied territories;
Taking kids away in instances the place they have been staying with different adults after their mother and father have been killed within the struggle
– Ukraine’s Prosecutor Basic Andriy Kostin stated on March 17 the prosecutors have been investigating instances of deportation of over 16,000 kids from Russian-occupied areas of Donetsk, Luhansk, Kharkiv, and Kherson areas. “However the true determine might be a lot greater,” Kostin stated on his Fb web page.
– Ukraine has to date managed to return 308 kids, officers stated.
– Iryna Vereshchuk, minister for the reintegration of briefly occupied territories, issued a public enchantment on Saturday to Russian officers asking for lists of all Ukrainian orphans and all Ukrainian kids whose mother and father have been stripped of parental rights who’re at present in occupied Ukrainian areas or have been illegally transferred to Russia.
– A report revealed in February by the Humanitarian Analysis Lab at Yale Faculty of Public Well being as a part of the Battle Observatory stated Russia has held a minimum of 6,000 Ukrainian kids – probably many extra – in websites in Russian-held Crimea and Russia whose major goal seems to be political re-education. The report stated Yale College researchers had recognized a minimum of 43 camps and different amenities the place Ukrainian kids have been held that have been a part of a “large-scale systematic community” operated by Moscow.
(Aside from the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV workers and is revealed from a syndicated feed.)